Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Making Connections

Once again I am thankful for the opportunity to go to homeschooling conferences and to meet so many wonderfully interesting people.  I had a great time at the recent Rideau Valley Home Educators Association Conference in Ottawa.  My greatest regret though was that, as with every conference, it was such a busy whirlwind of a day that though I met many people, I didn’t get to know many.  One thing that I love is to hear people’s stories.  Why is it that you decided to home school?  What makes your home and family unique?  So here, Under the Maple Tree, I assuage my interests by sharing our family’s stories with all of you and look forward to having the chance to hear more of your stories over time. 

While I am taking the opportunity to share a little bit about our home school I thought I should make a couple of other introductions in hopes that these friends will also encourage you and share in your stories.

First, I was pleased to meet Shannon Ratcliffe in Ottawa at the RVHEA conference.  Most of you will want to check out her exciting new venture: Homeschool Horizons, a brand new all Canadian magazine for homeschoolers!  Shannon has had significant interest in her new magazine which will launch this fall and I know that I am looking forward to subscribing.  Won’t it be neat to have a national forum for connecting with other people who are walking the same road that you are travelling?  Check them out at www.homeschoolhorizons.ca or on facebook: “Homeschool Horizons – Canada’s Homeschooling Magazine”.  Say hello to Shannon and Kimberley and tell them that Cori sent you.  J

Another friend that I would like to introduce you to is Kay Chan.  Kay is the wife of Derek and homeschooling mother to six lovely daughters.  Kay has been a wonderful encouragement to me in my busy days as wife and mom and teacher and business woman.  She generously gave of her time to thoroughly edit and revise my new book, Working Together, despite having a full schedule with homeschooling and caring for a sick baby.  She provides me with many words of wisdom and encouragement.  And now I am happy to commend her efforts as she is working on compiling a book of encouragement for larger families.  Read more about it on her blog, http://www.littleapplesofgold.com/submission/!   Kay would love to share your testimonial if you are part of a large family.  Feel free to contact her at kay@littleapplesofgold.com.

And now after enjoying Kitchener and Ottawa conferences I am very much looking forward to OCHEC in Hamilton in another week.  If you are going to be there then please stop by the Maple Tree table in the vendors hall or come and see me in one of my seminars.  I have the privilege of sharing Charlotte Mason 101 as well as Enjoying Math?!?  Lots of fun and excitement! 

Or if you are in the area, you are welcome to come and visit at my home tonight – Thursday, April 28th for our second last Charlotte Mason Support Group of the year.  Contact me if you would like to come and need more information.

So many chances to make connections!  I’m looking forward to the next couple of weeks!

Wishing you the support and encouragement that you need to finish this school year well!

Cori

No comments:

Post a Comment